Thursday, January 21, 2016

Weight Watchers Update: Four Years at Goal-ish - January 21, 2016

OK OK OK. I didn't take any pictures again today and then I realized it was my four-year Weight Watchers anniversary so I'm STILL BLOGGING but I'm not posting photos today.

As it was in January 2015, I'm...goal-ish. I fell off the WW wagon with a thud in December (after I weighed in - that's a dangerous trap, and I have never felt that WW supports its Lifetime Members as well as it should because of course, the company wants my money!) and I haven't entirely climbed back on. I did buy various candy and cookies in the Christmas sales (trigger food - "I can totally handle it though!" no, no I can't). I didn't walk as much as I wanted because the kid was home, the weather was bad (rain rain rain), and I got lazy. So too much sugar, too little exercise = not very good.

That said, I'm only about 2 or so pounds away from the 2+ pounds I'm "allowed" from my goal. Not far at all. Still much healthier and slimmer than I was when I started WW back in the day. And I do hate that it comes down to this obsession with the scale (because if I am over goal, I have to pay if I weigh in - and if I skip a month, I have to pay the next month! I can't win!) when WW is touting "Beyond the Scale."

I am not particularly a fan of SmartPoints either. I understand the concept and I believe it will work. But it has no wiggle room anymore. It doesn't teach people to eat in the real world, it teaches people to eat "healthy" - except fat-free cheese is still considered a good option and artificial sweeteners are still OK. And it makes sweets very difficult to work into a plan. I don't know. I am terrible at tracking so I've barely been doing so. What I did see is that, for example, my formerly 1-point morning coffee is now 3. But my daily/weekly points haven't really dramatically changed and I get far more activity points now (that I'm not "supposed" to eat but whatever whatever I do what I want!).

What I'm saying, I guess, is that if I stick with the plan - PointsPlus OR SmartPoints - I am comfortably at goal, comfortable with how much I eat, not hungry, etc. If I go off on my own....I overeat and feel gross (for example, as I type this I'm recovering from a "lunch" with a friend that was just chips and queso and guacamole. I feel disgusting. Oops.).

So I'll be resetting tomorrow, eating more veggies (my husband went to the market today and stocked the fridge, hooray!) and making more spiralized meals and trying to stop doing the thing where it's 8pm and I'm lonely and bored so I eat.

Also, here is one of my favorite lunches right now: Sautee some onions in a small amount of olive oil in the bottom of a saucepan. If I have mushrooms, I throw those in too. Sometimes I also add garlic. Then I add 2 cups of vegetable broth, a splash of sesame oil, a splash of rice vinegar, a smidge of sambal oelek, and a tiny amount of miso (this is essentially a hot and sour soup recipe I saw on a blog but I don't measure or anything and I have the miso from a different soup recipe - I love miso!). Let that simmer for a bit (I use Better Than Bouillon so I have to give that time to dissolve). Throw in some spiralized zucchini, spiralized carrots, and maybe a few dry noodles to cook in the broth OR leftover noodles OR leftover rice. In a separate saucepan, medium-boil an egg using the Budget Bytes method (I typically let it go 7-ish minutes). Put egg in soup. Eat! (I don't know the Points but it's mostly vegetables so really, how much can it be?)

So I still celebrate. Four years ago I decided I needed to do something for myself and four years later I'm still mostly on track.


And I'm very proud of what I've done and what I'll continue to do.

(It's a phone selfie so I just can't count this as a photo a day post!)

No comments:

Post a Comment