Sunday, January 3, 2016

A Photo a Day 2016: Day 3

Following the "31 Days to a Better Photo" series that I found from Life with My 3 Boybarians (I read through the entire thing Friday and Saturday night, today I'm poking through it with my camera), I started playing with the Av setting and working on depth of field/understanding aperture/trying to get the foreground sharp and the background blurred.

I chose a critical subject for my experiment - the Gator that my husband's father brought my daughter from Florida - and then threw my kid's shoes in the background so there was an obvious distinction. Then I took about 50 pictures - all at ISO 200 or 400 (I changed that occasionally), and then, following the series info, staying in a single spot and starting with the smallest aperture and going up (which makes it smaller.....I'm still trying to wrap my head around that).

And of those 50 shots, which included some with settings that were terrible and/or had carried over from other experiments but were totally wrong for this one so I had to change some things midstream, about two were actually doing what I wanted. Learning learning learning! The shoes are slightly blurred, the gator is clear and in focus in the foreground with no blurring, even when I zoomed in.

(The side thing I learned is that I absolutely will be buying one more lens (that is a referral link) - a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 STM lens - sometime this week, probably, when I have time to think and the kid is back in school.)

The only manipulation I did with this picture in Photoshop was to crop it and resize it.


No comments:

Post a Comment