Saturday, September 4, 2010

Dragon*Con and Decatur Book Festival - I love living here

Stormtroopers!
We got a late start and so got to the Dragon*Con parade late this year. It's a fun spectacle that I like to try to get to each year, even if I can't actually go to Dragon*Con itself (see: I have a time-consuming child). We had to crane our necks to see over the giant crowd, but we got to see some faeries, some Star Trek characters, and a whole lot of Star Wars folk.

Chewbacca!
The folks in the crowd were almost as entertaining (if not more) than the folks in the parade. It's hard to see in the next picture, but this guy's kid was dressed as the character from the Katamari video games.

Giant-headed Katamari character baby!
On our way home, we saw the biggest bug I've seen in a while.

BUUUUGGGGGG! Actual size: HUGE
Then we wandered through the Decatur Book Festival for a bit, running into friends along the way. I finally got to try a popsicle from the King of Pops - Mexican Chocolate - and it did not disappoint. Creamy, chocolatey, and spicy in a wonderful way. My husband got raspberry lime (think raspberry lime rickey!) and my friend got Georgia peach. All so good - full of chunks of fresh fruit. I may be addicted.

Mexican chocolate popsicle from King of Pops
On my way home from the festival (my husband took the kid ahead so I could linger), I hit the library booksale but found it woefully picked over. Still, I bought a summer cocktail book (from Chronicle - one of my favorite publishers for their consistently gorgeous designs and photography in their cookbooks) and J.otto Seibold's Quincy, the Hobby Photographer, a guide to dog photography. (No, I do not have a dog, but I do love J.otto's art and humor.) I spent $2. Not bad. Probably best for my overcrowded bookshelves that I didn't find more books to buy.

I got to go back through the festival one more time with a friend. I grabbed a short decaf Pumpkin Spice latte (but got charged for a tall, I think - confusing, but it was too crowded to ask questions) and we wandered. I learned about lil' ol' me, which raises funds to help kids with autism (check out their unique discount card deal). And we tried to go to a discussion/signing, but it was crazy crowded, so we left. I booked a massage with a Scoutmob 50% discount deal, and then we meandered home.

The weather has been spectacular here - sunny, warm-not-hot, blue skies. I hope it lasts.

1 comment:

  1. The book festival looks like it was super-fun. I'm sorry I couldn't make it down! Between Ramona's visit, Sam's birthday and painting (yes, still) this weekend, I ran out of time.
    Love the praying mantis! I like to watch them turn their heads to look around.
    That chocolate popsicle looks mighty good, too. I made pistachio pudding pops yesterday. Haven't tried one yet, but I'll let you know how they are.

    ReplyDelete