Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Trip to CVS (isn't as much fun anymore) - June 15, 2011

I look back fondly at 2008 and 2009, when I would go to CVS weekly and spend pennies (or nothing, when the ECBs took care of the sales tax too!) and come home with bags and bags of toiletries and things we needed. Sigh. At some point I spent all my Bucks on some things we needed (better to do that than to spend cash, but it sucked) and the appealing deals started to dry up and my time/ability to sneak out before the kid woke on Sunday mornings dried up too.

So yesterday I went to CVS for the first time in forever to take advantage of a deal - my husband's preferred razor on sale for "free" after ECBs and coupon. And it was back to the old "I actually spent money to get something for free" thing, rather than "I spent my ECBs and it really was free!" It still was a decent deal though.

First, I bought the razor. It was on sale for $7.99, and you got back $4 in ECBs. I had a coupon for $4 off. So I spent $4 plus tax out of pocket and got $4 back. Then I used that $4 immediately - rather than saving it and rolling it and getting in the game again - to buy a hair product my husband asked for as well as a bottle of dishwashing liquid. I spent about 50 cents that time and got back nothing. Oh and I got another scan on my Green Bag Tag, so at some point I'll get another $1 from that (that's a great deal - 25 cents per visit for using your own bags!).

We're headed on a trip to visit family shortly. I'm both excited - seeing family and friends, possibly getting to see the ocean and/or the lake - and dreading it - a two-day drive each way, a kid who whines about every other song that comes up on the iPod (all songs that she likes anyway)...

Maybe I'll update while we're away...

No comments:

Post a Comment