Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Last Thrifting Trip Before the Long Summer - May 23, 2012

School is out on Friday for the summer...and it's going to be a long one. We have no camps lined up, but we do have four therapies, the pool, the work-and-play spot, a few girls who have volunteered to help out and play with my kid while I'm home...we should be OK.

But that said, I'm trying to get everything done before I find my time extremely limited. First, most exciting, tonight my husband and I are going on a CHILDFREE DATE. A friend of mine has volunteered to watch my daughter with her two daughters (who are adorable, wonderful, and sweet to my girl). I'm so excited I can't stop grinning.

And yesterday I ran off to have one last hurrah with my friend Amy and hang out, relax, and...shop, yeah. I didn't get much - I wasn't feeling the magic yesterday, but also I honestly don't need much to get me through the rest of the summer. Still, I had a ton of fun.

What you won't see are the seven books I bought for my kid's classroom - her teacher asked for new books, and I was glad to be able to provide. The woman at the thrift store for some reason gave me an incredible deal and only charged me $2 for the whole pile, which included two new Fancy Nancy books, a book about Yankee Doodle, Duck and the Truck, a giant board book version of Moo Baa La La La, a paperback of Quack Quack Moo, and one other that I can't remember.

Here's what I got at the Humane Society:

Soooo cute. 50 cents.

Plain turquoise T, Red Sawx St. Patty's Day T (soft! comfy!) - 50 cents each.

More breaking out of my comfort zone - orangey-reddish Old Navy capris. $1.

Crinkle cutter! Now my carrot and butternut squash fries can look cute - I've been looking for one of these for FOREVER. 50 cents!

Ridiculous gothy witchy dress that actually fits nicely and looks cute. I say it's meant for "Princess Dragonblood Isis" or something - but I finally gave in and thought maybe I'd wear it for Halloween. $2.

Absolutely adorable dress that is poorly photographed. Can't wait to wear this one. $2.

Comfy flowy lovely dress - I love this one too. $2. Trust me, it's great.
We wandered into Goodwill, scoffed at the prices, and I bought a single Backyardigans book for my kid for $1.50.

Then we went to our other favorite indie store, where I scored...

SQUEE! AND OMG! AND WHEEE! The 70s Weight Watchers recipe cards as seen at Candy Boots/in the Amazing Mackerel Pudding Plan/made fully humorous by Wendy McClure! SIXTY CENTS.
Could you just die???
AND a full set of Betty Crocker recipe cards from the same era! These were also 60 cents OMG.

Men's Favorites. Indeed.
I think these were $2 each - plain brown shirt, and P-A-T-S Pats Pats PATS! shirt.
Super cute beach bag for the summer. $2.

And finally, I had a $50 Target gift card that I'd earned from MyPoints. I decided that despite the fact that we're having some financial issues (two freelancers + one disabled child = things can get kind of sticky), I was going to spend this on ME...

I'd been staring at this bag for months, figuring I'd wait until it went on clearance. Instead, my local Target ran out of this design. I was at a different Target, saw it, and gave in to its charms. 

The story is the same for this. I really really really want a Zoku (anyone want to buy me one?) but I saw this and figured I'd wait for it to go on sale. Here's the ridiculous part - the reddish one was on sale for $25. The blue one that I bought was on sale for $24. The blue ones that were on the fancy summer display at the front of the store that had an item number that was identical but ended in an R...were not on sale at all and cost $30. (I checked all the prices with the store scanner.) WTF Target. Not cool. Anyway, the parts are drying right now and will go in the freezer tonight. Note that this, the Hamilton Beach FastPop Gourmet Pop Maker (68772 for blue, 68773 for red, 68772R for...something weird at Target), is the NEW version. When I looked for reviews of this product, I came up with an older version that required a key (Zoku-style) and that had terrible reviews. This one doesn't seem to have been reviewed yet - so I will let you know!
 And that ends my shopping for...quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment