Apparently I did this last year, so I might as well be consistent and do it again this year.
(Secret - I'm writing this earlier than the 28th and just setting it to post. I'm so sneaky.)
1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
I joined Weight Watchers - and lost 20 pounds.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Apparently I kept two of them. (I did three craft shows, including one that was bigger than ones I'd done in the past, and I kept building on the stuff I have for sale at the co-op. I also pared down the baby gear - a pregnant friend got a TON of my stuff - and books - a lot went to Goodwill - though I can do better with the book paring. I didn't really wean off the Internet as I had wanted, I didn't read 50 books - I read about 30 though - and I didn't drive to the places on the list, though I did consistently drive to a bunch of places, drove to Target, and drove to Big Kroger a few times.) I had totally forgotten I'd made those. I don't think I'll make some for next year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not directly, no.
5. What countries did you visit?
Massachusetts, which is, as I noted in 2010, a country all its own.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A bit more confidence. More strength. And maybe 2012 is the year my daughter will take 10 steps in a row?
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
This year feels like one big blur. The first summer after the first year of preschool was a struggle. Bean (a place) saved us. My daughter finally weaned. The last year of preschool began. I don't know!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Losing 20 pounds. Gaining three new freelance clients. Winning the milk frother. Nursing my daughter for four years and then gently weaning her when the time was right.
9. What was your biggest failure?
An overall feeling of laziness. And a messy house.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing too terrible.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new smartphone.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My kid's. Always.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Certain candidates for a certain major political office.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My kid, same as last year. Plus weaning - that was exciting in all sorts of ways. The Tori Amos tour. Weight Watchers. Some really good sales. Winning a few online contests.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? happier.
- richer or poorer? poorer.
- thinner or fatter? THINNER!!!!!
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Cleaning my house. Travel.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Paperwork. (Renewals, yuck.) Playing around online and wasting time.
20. How did you spend the holidays?
As I write this, we have no plans. That could change, I'll try to remember to update it.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
All over again, yes.
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
CBS Sunday Morning, always and forever. American Horror Story. Revenge and Ringer. Once Upon a Time. How I Met Your Mother. The Big Bang Theory. Two Broke Girls (I just love Kat Dennings, I am aware the show is problematic).
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
Rejuvenile. Spoiled. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. The Wilder Life. The Girl's Guide to Homelessness. The Boy in the Moon. One Hundred Names for Love. Home/Birth. Road Map to Holland. (The worst book was the Land of Painted Caves. Ugh.)
26. What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn't see any new movies this year, which is sad. I watched Enchanted on DVD a lot. I checked a list of 2011 movies and I still would like to see 50/50, Melancholia, Bridesmaids, Super 8, Water for Elephants, the Muppets, and maybe War Horse.
27. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
"This fits again? YAY." I am slowly rediscovering tighter-fitting clothes. Skinny jeans. I love boots. The whole 80s revival. Good stuff.
28 Whom did you miss?
My friends in New England. My local friends who had babies (we all got busy). My friend who moved away temporarily.
29. Who was the best new person you met?
The rediscovery of an acquaintance who turned out to be an important friend.
30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Get started. Stop putting it off, because once you start it, you're that much closer to your goal.