Saturday, December 10, 2011

Picture of the Day (Norton Juster) - December 10, 2011

Norton Juster in Decatur, GA, on December 9, 2011

Thanks to some amazing people who work at one amazing independent children's bookstore, the city of Decatur, GA, held a several-month-long initiative called "On the Same Page" where everyone in the city was encouraged to read, share, and discuss the same book. The inaugural program selected one of my all-time favorite books, The Phantom Tollbooth. And the grand finale of this program was a visit from Norton Juster.

When it was my turn to meet him and have my book signed, I got choked up. I had about 5 whole seconds in which to tell him how much that book meant to me as a kid. And he was so warm and genuine in his response, telling me it meant a lot to hear that. I shook his hand (I actually clasped his hand in both of mine) and then off I floated.

If you haven't read The Phantom Tollbooth, I suggest you stop what you're doing and go out to get either the 50th anniversary edition or the new annotated edition (the one I now have) and to read it yourself or to share it with the children in your life.

1 comment:

  1. He has a new picture book out, called Neville, which I bought for an Xmas gift. It's cute.

    ReplyDelete