Friday, March 9, 2012

She Can She Can She Can - March 9, 2012


For the record, I feel that I have to explain that this isn't the first time or even probably the fiftieth time that she has stood unassisted. However, I rarely catch these moments on camera, so it's exciting to have it to refer to and to hold against the few other pictures where she's standing. In this picture, she's wearing a weighted vest that a friend of ours gave us (I think it helped!), and she's at physical therapy. She has a hard time staying still (see that blur of her hands? she was clapping), so while she can stand, she wiggles out of it frequently, and we're still working on her taking more steps because she needs that initial stability first.

But she can. She can. She can. She can do everything. She can.

She can also read - I'm working on getting a video of that. She usually gets distracted as soon as I turn on the camera, of course.

She can she can she can.

Too many times I get bogged down in what she can't do. Days like this, pictures like this, thoughts like this, they all remind me what she can do and what she will do.

My kid is unstoppable and she knows it. It's me that has to work on my attitude, not her.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome.

    How does the weighted vest help - does it root her so she doesn't lean one way or the other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My understanding is that it gives her the sensory input she needs to know where her body is in space - she's constantly moving and looking to figure out "where" she is. The weighted vest has consistent weights all around and reminds her body (her vestibular system, I'm pretty sure). :)

    ReplyDelete