Yesterday, I went to a local thrift store with Amy - this store also supports doggies and kitties, but it's a bit more upscale than my Ultimate Favorite Store. Still, this store has sales, great prices, and supports a great cause. While we were there, I bought my husband a shirt - and then I bought myself an X-O silicone mold to make swirly crayons (my kid snaps every single crayon in half and I've been saving them....) and I bought the kitties a toy that spits out treats (they hate it - it's going to go to my friend's kitten).
Well, the shirt - brand new! nice brand! tags and all! - was too big for him. However, unlike 99% of thrift stores out there, this one accepts returns - and until June 2, they're even giving refunds in the manner in which you paid. (Starting June 2, it will be store credit - still very generous as far as I'm concerned.) So I took off on my 1.5-mile walk (it's really not that bad).
I returned the shirt and got back my almost-$6 and gave myself permission to use that money to buy...whatever.
And the store was having a sale. Half price off all media - books, DVDs, and CDs. Books are normally $2 each at most, DVDs are $3, CDs are $2....I went a little crazy.
I wound up spending $12 on everything - but that was $10-ish for the stuff, taxes, and I threw the last 75 cents or so in the donation bucket.
One DVD: The Princess Bride special edition. I think I may already own this movie (not sure) but I definitely didn't have one with the bonuses. ($1.50)
- Songbook - Nick Hornby (er, not 100% positive I don't already own this but I don't think so?) (50 cents)
- Weight Watchers Fruits & Veggies A to Z (....I did already own this one - I'm going to give it to someone at my WW meeting or sell it or something) (50 cents)
- Happier at Home - Gretchen Rubin ($1)
- Swallow Me Whole - Nate Powell (graphic novel, discovered by my friend Heidi whom I randomly ran into at the store) ($1)
- Let's Pretend This Never Happened - Jenny Lawson (The Bloggess! I don't love her like I should but I think this book will change that) ($1)
- Cooking Bold and Fearless (Amy actually pointed this out to me as a book she already has...it was just too ridiculous to leave behind) ($1)
- Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading - Maureen Corrigan ($1)
- The Night Bookmobile - Audrey Niffenegger (probably my favorite find of the day) ($1)
Of course now I have to - HAVE TO - get rid of a few more books AND READ THESE.