Saturday, May 28, 2011

Library Book Sale - May 28, 2011

I managed to sneak out to the library book sale sans child for a whole half hour. Last time, the sale was kind of meh. This time it was great again. I had to come up with some rules, including:

  • No buying of cookbooks just because they are pretty. I put back two gorgeous "brunch" cookbooks. Because pretty doesn't actually equal useful.
  • No more vegetarian cookbooks unless they are specifically by a small group of authors I love. The one by the guy who developed the Gardenburger...back into the bin it went. Ditto the cookbook from a restaurant I'd never heard of. I have plenty of cookbooks. 
  • No more rescuing books to give to people unless they are, again, from a very small select list of books. Twitch twitch.
  • No more buying books I read and kinda liked. Especially if it's a work of fiction. I can visit these books over and over at the library, and I have a backlog of stuff to read that's filling my house as it is.
(You will also find that I broke these rules, but only a tiny bit.)

So. Here's what I did buy (red = 50 cents, blue = $1, green = $2, click the pictures to embiggen):

It's a book about a broken heart. And canning. CANNING. 

OK, so I bought this because it was a pretty cookbook, even though it's useless to me AS a cookbook. Rule broken. Yes. But it was 50 cents. And look at that wacky binding (metal staple things) and it was printed in 1964 in Japan. And LOOK:




You totally would have bought it too.

This is one of my favorite cookbooks. I own two copies and have made several recipes out of it and continue to do so on occasion. BUT I CAN'T FIND EITHER ONE OF THE COPIES I OWN. So for a dollar, I figured I could have it accessible again and then give it away once I find my copies.

I was 99% sure I didn't already own this and didn't want to pull out my iPod (it has a list on it). Natalie Goldberg hooray!

Looked cute and funny.

I took this out of the library a few months ago and didn't have time to read it. Now I will.

Say it with me - DAWWWWWWWW. (I love Mutts & have an autographed copy of another one of his books from when I met Patrick McDonnell at the Decatur Book Festival.)

Splurge of the day - a whole TWO DOLLARS - which I figured was OK since the other stuff was so cheap. And I just couldn't resist a book about MFK Fisher. LOVE. HER.

So you see? I was fairly restrained and behaved. I WAS. But now more books have to go out the door to make room for these. I have a pile...I just have to get rid of it.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo. Must borrow the Natalie Goldberg book and the one about canning. When you're through, of course. Glad you found some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete