Saturday, April 16, 2011

And it's Passover again - April 16, 2011

Passover snuck up on me this year. But I think I'll be OK for the eight days - here's what I have planned for myself. (My husband, you may recall, isn't Jewish, so he doesn't observe, though he'll eat what I make in the house and won't be rude about eating hametz in front of me. It would be too complicated to have my daughter observe this year, so she can just eat whatever.)

  • Matzagna - basically veggie lasagna with moistened matzah in place of noodles. I make this every year and it's always good and always lasts a few days.
  • "Sunday Baked Eggplant" from the Monday to Friday Cookbook (out of print and a mere penny on Amazon or easily found at thrift stores - you need it!). My go-to recipe - super easy.
  • Baked potatoes.
  • Salad.
  • Passover "pasta." (Hey, if you're eating gluten free, this pasta is also GF so check for it in your favorite grocery store's Passover section!)
  • The Hungry Girl "Slaw and Order" recipe (broccoli slaw as a pseudo-pasta - it's good!).
  • Passover rolls - yum yum.
  • Matzah and cream cheese. (Duh.)
  • Matzah brei.
  • Eggs. Eggs. Eggs. (Backyard chicken eggs!)
  • Chocolate-covered macaroons (a splurge from today's shopping trip). Noms.
  • Regular macaroons.
  • Tons of veggies - I always always eat an artichoke during Passover just because.
  • Matzah ball soup (vegetarian).
  • Quinoa, maybe.
  • I just realized sunflower seed butter may be sort of kosher - I should look into  that.
I should be OK, right? In fact, writing this out, I ALWAYS go a bit overboard and have more than enough food and then stuff left over at the end when I'm sick sick sick of matzah. But I'm going for variety since I always feel hungry during Passover. I also sometimes (feeling guilty all the while) eat kitniyot, particularly as the week drags on - soy and beans are my main source of protein alongside eggs and cheese (I won't eat seitan/wheat-based fake meats during Passover and really, I can only eat so much cheese and eggs) so I eat a bit here and there. 

Happy Passover!

No comments:

Post a Comment